Re: Missing braille durring boot

Hello Mario,

At 12:32 09.03.2009, you wrote:

> Well, accessibility shouldn't depend on how a user like to partition a
> hard drive.

You have a point here of course.

That's not ment as complains to your work for getting Debian accessible, it's just some issues I mean it's important to point out.

> Btw, this was not a problem in Etch.

I know.  The actual problem is that BRLTTY now links against
three libraries in /usr/lib.  While libstdc++ is probably a bug, and libgpm
could be avoided, libicu is something we really want to link against since
BRLTTY now has Unicode support.  Maybe we should try to convince
ICU upstream to move it into /lib?

That' sounds to me as a better solution.
However, I don't know much of development, so others need to take the final dissision.

> In all of my Etch installations, with /usr on a separate partition,
> BRLTTY starts just out of the box.

Because I put some extra effort into avoiding linking against libraries
in /usr during the Etch release.  Apparently, I let this slip
for Lenny.  So, I am the one to blame, go ahead.

Well, let me come up with a suggestion instead.
What if we could get BRLTTY into the initrd used durring boot?
Then the user is able to check what happends if the root partition isn't mounted for some reason, amung other things. That way, braille users get more control over the system, since braille support is enabled at an earlier point in the boot process.

Martin