Re: Orca dependencies

Jason White <jasonw@ariel.its.unimelb.edu.au> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 11:53:18PM +0100, Gilles Casse wrote:
>
>> It would be great to have in the future a Orca-like for embedded
>> environment such as mobile.
>
> And not only for those. When KDE 4 supports accessibility API's, I doubt they
> will want to bring in a whole plethora of Gnome dependencies to run Orca or
> LSR - and it would be nice not to have yet another screen reader/magnifier
> package for KDE, requiring its own development effort.

This topic is well understood in the accessibility developers community,
and as I understand it, most parties agree that it would be a good step to
get rid of the CORBA dependency of at-spi and move over to DBus.  DBus would
be acceptable to the KDE people, and some GNOME people would also be content
with such a move.  And since DBus is finally on all modern systems (hald uses
it), it makes sense to just use one IPC mechanism.  It is just a matter
of allocating the manpower required to actually do the changes.

In fact, since Trolltech is finally really interested to get their
accessibility act together due to legislation issues, I see a small danger
that they will try to do their own thing anyway if cooperation with existing
technologies on Linux doesn't move forward fast enough.  I hope such a
disaster can be avoided by proper communication.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang@db.debian.org