Speakup-enabled installer Was: Re: Debian Installer

Kenny Hitt <kennyhitt@knology.net> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:22:07AM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
>> Kenny Hitt <kennyhitt@knology.net> writes:
>>
>> > Is there a version of Debian Installer which will use a screen
>> > reader to give access to the installation program?
>> If you are saying "screen reader", what do you mean exactly?  There
>> is a "version" of the Debian Installer (currently under development)
>> which supports BRLTTY (a screen reader for braille displays).
>> I guess you are refering to a screen reader to drive some speech synthesizer?
>>
>> If so, currently there is no effort undeerway in this direction.  I originally
>> planned to create a speakup-enabled flavour of the installer, but since feedback
>> from the speakup users was very low, I set aside this plan for sometime later.
>>
>> What would the hardware be you are trying to use this "screen reader" on?
>> A hardware speech synthesizer, or are you aiming at software speech
>> synthesis + a sound card?
>
> Yes, I was hoping for speakup.  I have hardware synths, so speakup would
> be my first choice.  If that isn't possible, a software synth would also
> work.  Unfortunately, I don't have a braille display, so I will need
> speech output.  I tried to make boot floppies for Woody with speakup but
> never could get it to work.  I've read the debian-boot list but I'm not
> sure I understand what's going on.  Is the process of creating a version
> of Debian installer with the speakup kernel package difficult?

>From what I gather, it should not be too difficult.  The major
step (packaging the speakup patch, and a precompiled speakup kernel)
I've already done.  The only task left is creating a kernel-image and kernel-module
udebs.  This should be quite straightforward.  But since
I do not have any speakup-capable hardware, I am kind of stuck here.  I could
just blindly create a speakup-enabled floppy, but without
being able to test it, I fear there will be quite some showstoppers...

If anyone could donate a speakup-capable hardware synthesizer
for testing, I could try and get this working.

--
CYa,