Re: m68kboot

Hi,

On 4/4/19 9:45 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 4/4/19 1:53 AM, Eero Tamminen wrote:
Sure, but I thought that Debian policy requires everything in main
to be compiled from sources and those sources to be in repos,
including the toolchains used to build the binaries in the packages?

m68k-specific code is not landing in Debian's main archive anyway, so > we don't have any problems with that.

In that case, would more of native Atari programs be welcome to repos?

There are few nice open source games for Atari [1], and I think it
would be good if emulator packages in Debian would have "Recommends"
for couple of examples users could try.

(It's trivial to make them work so that they appear in desktop menus
and get started within emulator when user selects them.  [2] has few
examples.)

But I thought you are not booting Debian anyway but a heavily trimmed
down Linux kernel with a small busybox.

That's just for starters.  There were enough problems that I wanted
to get a minimal setup working before investigating full Debian.

(I think minimal test-case is anyway a good idea when reporting
problems.)

A stock Debian doesn't boot with just 14 MiB of RAM anyway.

Maybe I missed what your intentions with this projects are?

At beginning Debian / m68k Linux is a good test-case for Hatari's
new [4] 030 MMU implementation, and some of its peripheral support
which isn't exercised much by Atari software that Hatari is mostly
used with (= games & demos).

After I've polished rough edges and documented needed workarounds
(for issues that haven't been fixed yet), I think Hatari will be
very useful in debugging Debian / m68k kernel issues and profiling
performance.

For example:

* To see what kernel functions are called, one needs just
  "trace cpu_symbols" debugger command, or tell Hatari to
  do that from the beginning with "--trace cpu_symbols".

* If one would want to see e.g. just syscalls, one could use
  suitably reduced symbols file instead of full one:
	$ grep " T sys_" System.map > syscall-symbols.txt

If others find Hatari useful, hopefully Debian Hatari packages get
updated a bit more often.  Debian Hatari updates lag clearly behind
Fedora, and we get user complaints from Ubuntu & Debian about
Hatari issues that have been fixed ages ago.  For example,
Fedora updated to new Hatari 2.2.1 regression release almost
immediately, Debian still hasn't:

	- Eero

[1] open source Atari games:
	http://eerott.mbnet.fi/hatari/programs.shtml
[2] Debian packages of (non open source) Atari games for Maemo [3]:
	http://eerott.mbnet.fi/hatari/games.shtml
[3] Maemo:
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo

[4] Some background: "Previous" NeXT emulator is fork of "Hatari"
Atari emulator, because it emulated both CPU & DSP used in NeXT.

Previous developer implemented 030 MMU emulation, which was
integrated to "WinUAE" Amiga  emulator, and further tested & fixed
by WinUAE maintainer.

Hatari uses WinUAE CPU core (after C++ -> C conversion),
and got MMU support that way.

Maintainers of these three emulators work together to improve
(cycle-accurate) m680x0 CPU/MMU/FPU emulation.