Re: m68k kernel under Hatari

Hi Eero,

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 1:44 AM Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> On 4/3/19 9:23 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Apr 2019, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> >> Could somebody give a pointer to latest v5.x based Debian
> >> unified m68k kernel config I should test?
> >>

> > http://ftp.kr.debian.org/debian-ports//pool-m68k/main/l/linux/linux-image-5.0.0-trunk-m68k_5.0.2-1%7eexp1_m68k.deb
> >
> > I unpacked the deb with 'ar' and found './boot/config-5.0.0-trunk-m68k'
> > in 'data.tar.xz'.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I tried that config with 's/=m/=y/' which failed miserably.
> It produced 16MB (stripped) kernel [1], which on boot didn't
> output anything, even with initcall_debug.

That kernel image is too large.
We did lift the limitation on kernel size of 4 MiB a while back (commit
486df8bc4627bdfc ("m68k: Increase initial mapping to 8 or 16 MiB if possible")),
but that still requires the first memory chunk to be at least 8 or 16 MiB,
which rules out booting kernels larger than 8 MiB in ST-RAM.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds