Re: Dropping old fdisk utilities

Hi Adrian,

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 8:29 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 09/22/2017 04:13 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
>>> mac-fdisk in particular is no longer needed but it can cause trouble
>>> with debian-installer when the udebs are outdated or broken.
>>
>> If the package gets broken and if no-one will maintain it, then I won't
>> object to its removal. Otherwise, why not cross that bridge when we come
>> to it? I'm willing to fix more mac-fdisk bugs if need be. What is needed
>> to keep up with changes in APT?
>
> The main problem is that mac-fdisk is not a package that is built on any
> of Debian's release architectures. This normally means you cannot upload
> a package through the regular FTP mechanism as the Debian Archive Kit (DAK)
> will kick any package source which does not produce binary packages on
> release architectures.
>
> It still works at the moment because powerpc still happens to be built
> on the official buildds and its packages are being stored on the main
> FTP servers and not Debian Ports. So, technically, powerpc is still a
> release architecture, it's just no longer part of Debian testing.
>
> However, we don't know how long this status will continue to remain
> in the future and the moment powerpc is removed from the official
> infrastructure, you will no longer be able to upload new versions
> of the mac-fdisk source package as DAK will kick the package shortly
> after no binary packages are built on the release architecture
> buildds.

Why is mac-fdisk not built for release architectures?!?
It can be used on any platform to (re)partition a disk for Mac.

(G)parted may have more users, but AFAIK Debian is not a distribution
that's known for limiting the choice of its users to a single tool for
a specific
purpose (though not intending to start a new systemd flamewar ;-).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds