Re: Dropping old fdisk utilities

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > However, we don't know how long this status will continue to remain in
> > the future and the moment powerpc is removed from the official
> > infrastructure, you will no longer be able to upload new versions of
> > the mac-fdisk source package as DAK will kick the package shortly
> > after no binary packages are built on the release architecture
> > buildds.
>
> Why is mac-fdisk not built for release architectures?!?
> It can be used on any platform to (re)partition a disk for Mac.

In the past, there have been bugs filed against mac-fdisk requesting that
it be built for other architectures.

FWIW, Gentoo considers this package to be stable on amd64, ppc, ppc64 and
x86, notwithstanding whatever patches they use.

> (G)parted may have more users, but AFAIK Debian is not a distribution
> that's known for limiting the choice of its users to a single tool for
> a specific
> purpose (though not intending to start a new systemd flamewar ;-).

Its nice to have many partitioners and many ports thereof but there's
still the question of "who will do the work?".