Re: Installing with new Installer-Image

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 8:12 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 09/22/2017 03:35 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
>> The stuff in drivers/ide/ still has official maintainers, so we should
>> probably try to find the regression, if that's what it is.
>
> I have my doubts given the fact that the drivers are currently effectively
> broken and apparently no one before me noticed that.
>
> However, it should be easy to find the maintainers using
>
>         scripts/get_maintainers.pl
>
>> Unfortunately, I don't have access to suitable hardware right now, so I
>> can't be of much help besides building kernel binaries for bisection.
>
> You don't need access to hardware. You can test the kernel just fine
> on Aranym. All you need is a simple root filesystem and an initrd
> which I can provide. In fact, you can just use the kernel and initrd
> from the debian-installer distribution:

Correct.
And the Falcon IDE driver still works fine when not a module...

>> https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/debian-cd/debian-installer-images_20170828_m68k.tar.gz
>
> Use the common kernel and the initrd for the CD-ROM installation.
>
>>> For Falcon IDE, you can try the new driver under drivers/ata/, just
>>> enable CONFIG_ATA and CONFIG_PATA_FALCON.
>>>

>> Last I heard, the IDE driver/libata conversion plan had been NAK'd. Has
>> the IDE subsystem maintainer changed his mind?
>
> Why it should it be NAK'd? The IDE/ATA subsystem maintainers want to
> get all the drivers ported over to libata so they can eventually
> get rid of the old IDE stack.

Getting rid of the old IDE stack was NAKed (rightfully), due to drivers/ata/
not providing the same level of hardware support as drivers/ide/.
Porting drivers over to drivers/ata/ is OK (and wanted), of course.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds