Re: Fwd: Re: Debian on mac68k

On Mon, 30 May 2016, Stefan Niestegge wrote:

> > On my Centris 650, ADB support is working fine with the 3.16 stock
> > kernel in any case.
> >

> Now this is probably the thing to try out.

Yes, you should definitely try out the debian kernel. It is possible that
you can get a working serial console from systemd without installing the
kernel package (which would generate an initrd with the modules). It is
also possible that the modules are installed already (check /boot and
/lib/modules for matching kernel binary and kernel modules).

> Do you boot it with Penguin, too? What is your kernel commandline? I
> tried the generic m68k kernel from your debian space but it didn't boot,
> it hangs after un-gzipping but before screen turns black. System 7
> Desktop freezes.

If you use the network card in MacOS and then boot Linux from Penguin, you
can get a crash like this (unhandled interrupt). The best workaround is to
boot MacOS with extensions disabled (restart and hold down shift key when
you hear the chime).

Another possible cause of the hang is a known Penguin bug triggered by
some large gzip'd kernel binaries. The workaround for this is to unzip it
before asking Penguin to load it.