Re: Debian on mac68k

Hi!

On 05/30/2016 10:51 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Thanks, that points me to the services, and it seems I do have
> /etc/systemd/system/serial-getty@ttySC4.service.d/autologin.conf on some
> NFS roots that had systemd installed for a few minutes, but IIRC never booted
> into it.
> Interestingly, not all NFS roots have it, and IIRC the one machine that did boot
> into systemd and had the issues doesn't have that file...

But really, just setting "console=ttyS0,115200,8n1" is enough. I use that
on all my embedded boards.

>> Wouldn't it be at least reasonable to read the provided documentation
>> before posting such complaints? I find this rather unfair, to be honest.
>
> I agree about the missing kernel options. That's entirely my fault.

Ok :).

> "replacing one of the core userland components" is something I didn't do
> deliberately. It happened during a dist-upgrade on one machine (and not on
> all others!). I only noticed what had happened after the next reboot, when the
> system failed to boot...

Well, that normally shouldn't happen. At least when upgrading to Jessie,
sysvinit should still be usable and in-place. But you know, we can't
guarantee it behaves as expected in all corner cases. Bugs happen.

> How many packages have "systemd" in their name,
> while they're not really the core systemd?

There are some, yes, but the core is just "systemd"

> And who says I didn't read documentation, and didn't look for solutions on the
> net? That's how I fixed the first two issues. But I didn't find a
> solution for the
> last three.

So, I'm not sure about the fine-tuning for the serial console. I use standard
settings and just enable it with the kernel command line options above.

However, it might be possible that some very specific serial configuration
might not work as expected, but since I have never tested that, I cannot
give you any advise.

> Perhaps I'll try again now systemd has matured a bit. Once bitten, twice shy...

Yes, things are improving constantly. I haven't had any big issues for
a long time. Usually, it's just poor configuration on my side.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz