Re: Debian on mac68k

Hi Adrian,

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 05/30/2016 09:21 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> Ah, so you may also know the solutions for my issues below, from a
>> Google+ post a while ago?
>>
>> While dist-upgrading my debian-armhf/jessie NFS roots, systemd was
>> installed on one of them, breaking the next boot of the affected board
>> :-( Interestingly (or rather: fortunately), only one of them got
>> systemd, the others are still alive and kicking with sysvinit-core.

>> Failure 3:
>> Hey... I seem to have a working system again? Is this too good to be true?
>>
>> Yes it is:
>> 3.1. Autologin on a serial console is no more. I tried to enable it,
>> but couldn't get it to work (the agetty is started automatically,
>> based on the kernel's console, without the help of any config file in
>> /etc/systemd),
>
>> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html

Thanks, that points me to the services, and it seems I do have
/etc/systemd/system/serial-getty@ttySC4.service.d/autologin.conf on some
NFS roots that had systemd installed for a few minutes, but IIRC never booted
into it.
Interestingly, not all NFS roots have it, and IIRC the one machine that did boot
into systemd and had the issues doesn't have that file...

>> 3.2. "stty rows N" doesn't seem to have any effect on my serial console anymore?
>> 3.3. My root filesystem stays mounted read-only.
>>
>> Fortunately sysvinit-core is only an apt-get install away...
>
> I'm not sure what the reasoning of these posts are. People are hacking
> together a custom kernel and then replace one of the core userland
> components with a much more modern software.
>
> Wouldn't it be at least reasonable to read the provided documentation
> before posting such complaints? I find this rather unfair, to be honest.

I agree about the missing kernel options. That's entirely my fault.

"replacing one of the core userland components" is something I didn't do
deliberately. It happened during a dist-upgrade on one machine (and not on
all others!). I only noticed what had happened after the next reboot, when the
system failed to boot... How many packages have "systemd" in their name,
while they're not really the core systemd?

And who says I didn't read documentation, and didn't look for solutions on the
net? That's how I fixed the first two issues. But I didn't find a
solution for the
last three.

Perhaps I'll try again now systemd has matured a bit. Once bitten, twice shy...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds