Re: m68k on Amiga 1200

On 06/10/2014 09:55 PM, ALeX Kazik wrote:
>> Please make sure to dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest, so that your
>> machine is counted.
>
> Does it makes sense as long as my network is not working?

Nah, of course not. But once you get it running, please do so.

>> How did you get it boot on 68030?
>
> Using the precompiled kernel and amiboot (6.0snapshot May 11 2005):
> "amiboot -k vmlinux-3.2.0-4-amiga root=/dev/hdb4 video=amifb:pal-lace"

Well, but didn't you talk about a 3.14 kernel you compiled? The current
problem with 68020 and 68030 CPUs is that 3.2.0 is the latest kernel
we can currently boot on these machines due to the bug I mentioned
earlier. It's probably a very good idea to wait for 3.15 and boot
your A1200 with this kernel. It might fix the other problems you have.

I am, btw, very surprised that you got amiboot-6.0snapshot working, it
never worked for me and always completely froze my machine. Are you
sure you used 6.0snapshot and not the older 5.6 version?

See my earlier post here:

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2013/04/msg00037.html

>> Are you using the apne driver? Normally it installs the eth0 device
>> right after this message pops up. It sometimes just doesn't detect
>> the card at all, so I have to reset the machine again.
>
> yes, apne - I've attached the modified kernel patch (it's way changed
> because the driver looks pretty different since 2.8).
> resetting does not help (and the patch does contain the reset fix).
> my dmesg output is also attached in case someone want's to look at it.
>
> If it helps I can lend out the card.

Let me parse your dmesg first :).

>> However, when you compiled the kernel yourself you might have just
>> forgotten to add the driver for the OKI-RTC? I think it's called
>> M6242, the driver is rtc-msm6242.
>
> You're right, I've forgotten that driver - now the kernel detects it
> but still does not work.
> While the Amiga OS is able to read/set the clock linux can't read it.
> Reading it manually by "hwclock" returns "hwclock: ioctl(RTC_RD_TIME)
> to /dev/rtc0 to read the time failed: Invalid argument".
> I've set the date to "2014-05-10 21:45" (yes, wrong month, to
> distinguish from the time set on AmigaOS) using "date". On shutdown
> the time is stored.
> On reboot the time is read as "2014-05-10 01:46:04" - there must be bug in it.
> The AmigaOS reads it correctly. But when storing it from the AmigaOS,
> linux is once again not able to read it.

Hmm, interesting. I have to play around with that as well once I have
fired up my A1200 again. As I said before, I would wait until we
have kernel 3.15 and try with that one, there have been many
m68k-specific fixes since 3.2.0 was released.

> Can't just amiboot read the time from the amigaos and pass it onto linux?

Don't know, sorry.

>> I assume you have either a Blizzard 68030 card or one of those
>> ACA-123x accelerators by individual computers?
>
> It's a Blizzard 1230 mk IV with FPU @ 50MHz (as stated top of my
> initial post ;-)

Ah, I didn't see that.

Adrian