Re: m68k on Amiga 1200

Hi Alex!

On 06/07/2014 12:53 PM, ALeX Kazik wrote:
> I've installed debian on my Amiga 1200 (Blizzard 1230/IV@50MHz + FPU)
> using the instructions at:
> http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65146

Awesome. Welcome to the club! I actually wrote these instructions :).
Please make sure to dpkg-reconfigure popularity-contest, so that your
machine is counted.

Also, you may want to install zorroutils and test whether it works
reasonably, I just recently adopted and updated the package.

> Basically it worked well but the default kernel did not recognise my
> network card at all.
>
> I compiled my own 3.14.5 kernel with support for the network card
> (Netgear FA411).

Interesting. I thought anything between of the available kernels for
m68k between 3.2.0 and 3.15 was broken on 68030 due to a bug introduced
somewhere between 3.2.0 and 3.10. Finn fixed it here:

> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/6/13

How did you get it boot on 68030?

> The result is the following message during bootup:
>
>> Looking for PCMCIA ethernet card : ethernet PCMCIA card inserted
>> (unregistered net_device): PCMCIA NE*000 ethercard probe 00:40:f4:23:73:6d
>> (unregistered net_device): NE2000 found.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the message "unregistered net_device", can
anyone of the kernel people comment on this?

Are you using the apne driver? Normally it installs the eth0 device
right after this message pops up. It sometimes just doesn't detect
the card at all, so I have to reset the machine again.

> Additionally linux does not read/write the real time clock of the
> A1200 - only my problem or not supported at all?

I have made the same observation on my Amiga 1200. The problem seems
that the driver is not loaded before the kernel tries to restore
the time and date from the RTC. Try adding the module name in
/etc/modules or probably better the module list for the initrd
(see /etc/initramfs-tools/modules).

However, when you compiled the kernel yourself you might have just
forgotten to add the driver for the OKI-RTC? I think it's called
M6242, the driver is rtc-msm6242.

I assume you have either a Blizzard 68030 card or one of those
ACA-123x accelerators by individual computers?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz