Re: Linux/m68k on Atari

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 03:06, Michael Schmitz
<schmitz@biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
>> > Geert, Roman: does paging_init rely on part of the first memory chunk being
>> > mapped in head.S, or just part of the chunk the kernel resides in? Could I
>> > reorder the m68k_memory[] elements in setup.c to fix the ordering problems?
>>
>> Should work. config_amiga() removes Zorro II memory chunks, and that's
>> just before
>> paging_init() is called. of course you cannot reorder the first chunk,
>> as that one is
>> already in use.
>
> Found that out the hard way. So what's the fix for this? Does the first chunk
> always have to be the one the kernel resides in?
>
> What is the reason for dropping chunks that are residing below the fisrst one,
> in paging_init ??

`git blame' tells you that code was added by

commit 12d810c1b8c2b913d48e629e2b5c01d105029839
Author: Roman Zippel <zippel@linux-m68k.org>
Date:   Thu May 31 00:40:54 2007 -0700

    m68k: discontinuous memory support

Probably discontigmem supports only increasing physical addresses of the
multiple memory chunks :-(

But the newer sparsemem generic model may support it, see
Documentation/memory-hotplug.txt.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds