Re: Lenny release plans

A few more notes:

http://ftp-master.nemesisnetworks.com/debian - our dak server is up
and running (I have to give import-archive a lobotomy, and remove
three packages which had invalid signatures in the archive (reported
to debian ftp-masters). Next step is getting the w-b database off the
ground. Please note that d-i will not work off this server just yet,
we are missing packages to allow debootstrap to work (these will
probably have to be built by hand, and the glibc 2.5 issue will have
to be worked out).

The FTP server is also running, but I don't have the crontab installed
for Incoming to work yet; I want to work out a policy before we start
allowing uploads to nn.

As for the actual policy, maybe something like this would be best,
with five repos on dak's side (this is also important since we might
be hosting other architectures)

lenny - Pure lenny, without any m68k or architecture specific changes
(exception: nn/dports signing keys)

lenny-security - tracks Debian-security specific fixes. We can also
place fixes here should any security issues that are
m68k/kfreebsd/hurd specifc are found.

lenny-proposed-updates - Used for anything that isn't architecture
specific. Any package here will use a revision number like follows
1dports1 (first numeral being Debian version, dports or
nemesisnetworks depending where/how this is all setup, and the last is
the version numeral for any site specific updates). Due to the
difficultly of tracking Debian's t-p-u, we'll simply track items as
they enter testing vs when the enter the t-p-u queue.

lenny-m68k-specific
lenny-kfreebsd-*-specific
lenny-hurd-*-specific
(and their proposed updates)

The name pretty much says it all. Any changes we do to deviate from
lenny goes into the arch-specific folder. We ship a d-i which adds
both entries to the sources.list file, and pin our -specifc arch
higher then the pure lenny. Versioning here follows 1m68k0/
1kfreebsd0, etc.

Finally:
lenny-backports/lenny-volatile

We should talk to the backports/volatile guys to see how they want to
handle m68k backports/volatile; we could simply track their repo and
host it ourselves, or something.

As for mirroring, I think the current idea is aurel32 is going to pull
from ftp-master.nn.com to ftp-master.d-ports.org, which will then get
pushed out along the dports mirrors. I need to talk to him to figure
out how we're going to handle this, this is the first time anyone's
ever done an out-of-Debian release like this.

Need to talk to Stephen in the morning about the buildd side of all of this.
Michael