Re: Lenny release plans

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:50:09AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 05:17:14PM -0400, Michael Casadevall wrote:
>>>
>>> I figure since lenny is now frozen, its time to talk about our plans
>>> for a lenny-m68k release. Talking with Stephen, the current plan of
>>> attack is something as follows:
>>>
>>> 1. Install dak on a machine on nemesisnetworks (sorta done, still
>>> needs some configuration).
>>> 2. Import GPG keys of anyone who should have upload rights. (we can
>>> limit this to 68k buildd admins, or just dump the entire debian
>>> keyring here)
>>
>> I think it's best if we just dump the entire debian keyring, yeah. If
>> push comes to shove, we can always add our own keys.
>
> Yup - after all, anyone can build their own m68k packages on ARAnyM if
> they feel like it.

Exactly. Or on live hardware, if they have any.

>>> 3. Import the unstable snapshot from the day of the lenny freeze into dak
>>
>> I'd think a testing snapshot is better (or should at least also be part
>> of it). Unstable on the day testing is frozen is going to be extremely
>> different from testing...
>
> The testing snapshot is what we need, unless you talk about a separate
> unstable-m68k as well (are we being kicked out yet?)

By the sound of what I hear here at Debconf, we probably will be after
Lenny is released (though we'll still have a chance of getting in again
if we can get our libc fixed and our unstable/testing into shape)

>>> 4. Create a wanna-build tracking lenny-purposed-updates, and
>>> lenny-security (I have scripts that do this already)
>>> 5. Find voluteers to run autobuilders for both branches (we will
>>> likely also have a temporary tree lenny-transition or something
>>> handling the changes from the unstable snapshot until now).
>>
>> I can probably revive a few machines.
>
> I can add lenny-security and -p-u to hobbes' chroot list (or run ARAnyM
> for that purpose).

Just for reference the "few machines" I was thinking about were ska (VME
box that I got as a donation a few years back, not sure we still have a
working kernel?) and jazz (Quadra 950 which I recently updated so that
it runs 2.6 now)

>>> 6. Setup packages.nemesisnetworks.com again
>>> 7. Find people who can mirror off my server
>>> 8. Rebuild d-i with our mirrors list.
>
> Can we leave most of the mirrors in place, and just add dedicated m68k
> mirror / package list for the patched m68k packages? I.e. if we can use
> something from main, don't bother duplicating?

Probably, but we'll need to rebuild d-i anyway if we want to use a
separate mirror list.

[...]
>>> 10. Maybe offer the same services to other ports that are not
>>> releasing with lenny since the infrastructure will already be in
>>> place.
>
> Separate admins needed here?

It's probably good to remember that debian-ports already exists...

Something entirely different: Debconf is being followed by quite a few
people through the video streams (see http://video.debconf.org:8000/ if
you care to peek), and I was thinking that it could be a good idea to
set up a stream such as that one in Kiel, too. If we can get a camera
with Firewire-connection and a desktop that's powerful enough and has
enough diskspace to store the recording (13G per hour), and the network
connection is good enough (don't expect that to be a problem at a
university) then that would give us two benefits:
- videos for posterity (we'll probably be able to convince holger that
  it's a good idea to host them on meetings-archive.debian.net)
- allowing those who can't make it to Kiel to join to some extent
  through IRC and the video stream.

What do other people think?

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22