Re: C650 Install Attempt

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:38:09AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, Joel Ewy wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to install etch-m68k on a Centris 650, with the idea that
>> this might become a build machine, as discussed in a previous thread.
>> I'm using Finn Thain's 2.6.22 kernel from
>> http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/jcewy/.  I've tried the nativehd
>> install ramdisk image from Sarge and also the one at
>> http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/d-i/images-m68k/daily/nativehd/.  The
>> arguments I'm passing to the kernel in Penguin are:  mac53c9x=1,0
>> root=/dev/ram
>>
>> With both ramdisks I get to a point where it seems to hang at "(process:
>> 476): INFO: kbd-mode:  setting console mode to Unicode (UTF-8)".
>
> Is there a text mode installer available? Your description seems like you
> try to use the 'graphical' installer which is just fancier console
> display with UTF-8 (multibyte character display) support. Whatever is
> used to display UTF-8 does not work with Mac framebuffer display, I
> suppose. What is your display color depth?
>
> Stephen sure tested the installer on another m68k platform, maybe it only
> works with 8 bit display?

I've tested on aranym recently with various displays. We've also
recently had an amiga install work.

We don't have a graphical installer for m68k (yet anyway). It's still
text-based. I have no idea about using Finn's kernel with the installer,
since all the modules will be wrong. I'd probably do the installation
with the installer kernel, then upgrade to Finn's later.

I'm thinking you also need "suite=etch-m68k" and
"install-modules=etch-support" on the command line (for the dailies),
but you should get a text screen before that anyway. :\

BTW, that latter command is untested by me, as yet.

I can think of no reason why sarge wouldn't work out of the box, if you
were using the stock kernel that came with it.

How much RAM do you have?

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>