C650 Install Attempt

I'm trying to install etch-m68k on a Centris 650, with the idea that
this might become a build machine, as discussed in a previous thread.
I'm using Finn Thain's 2.6.22 kernel from
http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/jcewy/.  I've tried the nativehd
install ramdisk image from Sarge and also the one at
http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/d-i/images-m68k/daily/nativehd/.  The
arguments I'm passing to the kernel in Penguin are:  mac53c9x=1,0
root=/dev/ram

With both ramdisks I get to a point where it seems to hang at "(process:
476): INFO: kbd-mode:  setting console mode to Unicode (UTF-8)".
However, I can switch to a different virtual terminal and get busybox.
With 'ps' I can see that, among other things, debian-installer is
running, bterm is running ( -f /lib/unifont.bgf -l C.UTF-9 /lib/de),
debconf is going, main-menu is running, udpkg, and localechooser should
be going.  But none of these are putting up any kind of display, and if
I try to switch back to the original virtual terminal, which I assume to
be <alt><f1>, it doesn't change the display, except that the cursor is
lost.  I can go to VTs 2, 3, and 4, the last of which has diagnostic
output, but as soon as I try to go back to 1, the present contents of
the screen remain, but the cursor goes away.  The last line in the log
on VT 4 is 'init:  init:  starting pid 464, tty "/dev/tty2": "/bin/sh"'.

Process 467, which seems to have printed the last line on the first
virtual terminal before it quit responding, is gone by the time I get
over to another VT and type 'ps'.  But process 480 is bterm, 481 is
debconf, 482 is main-menu, 507 is udpkg --configure..., 508 and 509 are
shells running localechooser and localechooser.postinst.  So it appears
that processes are still being started up after the first VT quits
responding.  Probably the installer is still humming along just fine,
but I can't interact with it on the console.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

JCE