Re: xserver settings falcon ct60

Michael Schmitz wrote:

After many many tries, I managed to get "sarge"
running so that I can see the bash. I can logon, but
if I start XFree86, it quits after a black screen and
tells me sth about received value 11 or sth like that.

So can anyone tell me what settings I have to use in
XFree86.

Break out the compiler and binutils, install the xorg X server source, and
start coding a driver for a framebuffer device using interleaved bit
planes (or rather, interleaved pixels) for Atari. Consult the 2.6 kernel
Atari framebuffer device to see how bits for the different color
components of one pixel are mapped to the corresponding interleaved bytes.

In other words the XFree86 doesn't work on Atari, right? It did used to work, some centuries ago (I still do remember it), but since some change in kernel 2.2.x (or was it 2.0.x) it stopped working. I think they used to say that it's something related to CPU cache flushing in the XFree86.

Anyway, XFree86 has been replaced in Debian by the Xorg so now we need to create a driver for it, right? Isn't there some universal Xorg driver for framebuffer yet? Since the framebuffer in the kernel was supposed to free us from writing drivers for each graphics chip, wasn't it?

The only thing that might still work is monochrome mode

how about the Falcon truecolor (15/16-bit) mode? Could that work in theory? :-) It should be easy to find out on ARAnyM, actually.

Petr