Re: Buildd AutoDepWait for perl and linux-2.6

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:56:18 +0100
"Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 12:10:08PM -0600, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> >
> > I don't believe we usually autobuild linux-2.6. I believe Christian
> > usually uploads them directly once he's satisfied with the m68k
> > patches.
>
> The last couple of versions have been autobuilt before I could grab
> them, but that is ok. I haven't done anything for linux-2.6 for a
> while, so I don't know if it actually builds for m68k, nor do I know
> about the status of the patches, sorry, I don't think I will get to
> this before next year probably and then maybe only during spring
> break.
>
> Christian

No need to CC me, Thanks.

I've had an interest in M68K for a long time. Although I had never had
an Atari, an Amiga, a Mac or Sun, I've played with Genesis and had a
Palm m10x.

I am not a good system programmer, but I've worked with some kernel
drivers for clients in the recent time and even did support a new ARM
platform (in fact, did not have much of a work, simply copied the right
files and did the right minimal changes).

I've been willing to help Debian M68K port a time and did tell in my NM
process that I would try to do it. So, if I can be of any help...

I can try building Linux (did that today, but missed some simple
things) and running it on Aranym (guess that will be my only choice,
right?). If anyone can help me with some basics. To not disturb the
list, perhaps one of you would like to chat with me through
xmpp:cascardo@jabber-br.org.

What would be more useful for Debian right now? Working with upstream,
Geert's patches or Debian's versions? I've not done work in the kernel
team before. But since m68k is not officially supported, and Christian
used to upload his own versions, does it mean we do not need to follow
kernel team's releases if needed?

Regards,
Thadeu Cascardo.