Re: Washi

Finn Thain wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Petr Stehlik wrote:

 A natfeat serial port would also be pretty sweet.

IIRC, last time the serial port question came up, it was a request for a serial console as a way to avoid having a bunch of GUI deps on a headless server that might have served as a security buildd using aranym. I think that serial would be more economical on CPU than an emulated framebuffer console (it would probably boot faster which is nice if you are testing kernels...).

The GUI deps are SDL based ones. SDL always requires X11 stuff, unfortunately. So serial port is not going to remove the deps.

As for boot time, we are considering another option for upcoming release that would basically disable any video output refreshing. Linux-m68k could benefit from that.

Petr