Re: upgraded to lenny/sid and ordered RAM

On Sat, 19 May 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> they have two rows of chips on a side, that is 16 chips on a side). the
> 64MB is single sided and the 128 is double sided.

Cool, I think the DEC/HP ones I saw on ebay are the same.

> have you used any double sided card in the second slot ?

No, I've never used that motherboard. It needs RAM, a CPU upgrade, a new
battery and a case. I'll probably move a couple of resistors to overclock
it to 40 MHz when I come to that project. In the mean time I have an SE/30
that needs new capacitors...

> if you have seen the Apple Memory Guide, although the capacities are
> outdated, it does discuss the single/double sided issue some.

This one? http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/cc/mac/memory_guide_1.3.pdf

I'd forgotten about that guide. If you overlook Apple's usual de-rated
capacity limits (which at the time would have discouraged use of cheap
composite SIMMs), it just adds weight to what the BigSIMM vendor says: 64
(outside socket) + 128 (inside socket) would be the maximum (plus 4
soldered on).

> I meant trying single sided 16 in first slot or double sided 32 in
> second slot. some these I pulled out of junk pile of '97 pentium pc.

Well, Apple says it will work. For me to say, "this socket works with one
particular SIMM" could be misleading. That apple effectively says "the
inside socket will accept double sided but the outside socket will not"
gives us more reliable information about the motherboard.

-f