Re: upgraded to lenny/sid and ordered RAM

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> so i decided in order to track unstable i really had to get 64MB. but
> then I have another machine the quadra 605 so i got a 128MB for the 630
> and a 64 for the 605. supposedly these large cards work only in these
> two machines (or similar).

I have a 2-socket LC630 or Q630 motherboard that I was thinking of
upgrading.. I read somewhere that they would only accept 64 + 16. I guess
that is wrong? What sort of SIMMs are yours? Can you tell me the chip
count or the chip part codes? I've seen some 72 pin, 64 MB, DEC SIMMs on
ebay of late, but I didn't feel confident enough to buy some.

> if anyone on the list wants after I test these out contact me about
> obtaining my 32MB cards. I also have a couple of 16MB single sideds that
> may work in machines with two slots.
>

> _________
>
> i have xemacs, w3m, and ecl (lisp) going. it is buggy but not much worse
> than my ppc machines of etch (which are release official versions).
>
> i have tried X and i got some initial screen but it is only about 2/3 of
> the way down and then it is overdrawn or something (whitish color with
> stripes) and hangs the console. I had done several install of both xfree
> and xorg on powerpc so I think I know if it is not apparently working.
> could it be problem with the framebuffer driver. the xorg fbdev uses
> another driver called something like fbhw or hwfvdev something like
> that.

That sucks. Was this the 630? I'd be curious to see your xorg.conf and
xorg.0.log (not that I would know how to fix it, I just wanted to compare
with ljmoore's...)

-f