Re: upgraded to lenny/sid and ordered RAM

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> actually I think a lot of people quoting each other and the entropy
> effects in that are less information. the reference above i gave the guy
> actually describes doing real tests.

Sure, real tests are good. It would be great if you could test your new
SIMMs in both 605 and 63x and let us know (once they arrive).

Personally, I've tested a few hundred random SIMMs so far. See,

  http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/dram/index.html

... the idea of this page being to help identify SIMM capactity -- not
compatibility (almost all work in Q650).

> of course the proof is if it works or not.
>
> one thing i know is that my 16MB single sided cards do not work in
> either of my quadras. though they work in the performa450/lcIII/68030.
> so i suspect though i am not sure that they should work in the second
> slots of the 631. and/or most likely if the 610/650 have a second slot.
> why the 631 is different from those ?? when i studied the apple ram
> guide though i thought that the DOS 630 was actually had a 486
> motherboard in the case with the mac and that took another 32MB card
> originally.

I don't trust generalisations like "composite SIMMs don't work" or
"single-sided don't work" or "double-sided work". What works and what
doesn't work ought to be determined by the structure of the chips
themselves (e.g. 1M x 4 chips vs 4M x 1 chips) and the number of those
chips on the module (given correct refresh rate and EDO/FPM).

> what do you have now. do you have any double / single sideds that you
> can switch around just to test that part of the theory (that slot 1 is
> double sided and slot 2 is single).

I have no 64 or 128 sticks to test. I will try to obtain some, but I'd be
more comfortable if I had the specs (chip count and chip part codes) of a
module that you or someone else had already tested!

> It works !! more or less. I took 5 minutes to start the first time, i
> was just sitting there dozing. it took a long time the first time to
> start the window manager even longer than the server.
>
> problems :
>
> 1) it refuses to believe i have more than 300k of video ram. I know i
>    have at least 640x480x2 bytes, upward of 512k... but it will only go
>    in 640x480x1 Byte not 640x480x2 or 800x600x1 as in macos.

Sounds like a similar problem to the one Raylynn reported with the
console... so maybe this is a fbdev problem not xorg...

> 2) most apps that have both X and console versions won't start their X
>    versions. for instance xemacs -nw works but not xemacs, info and w3m
>    produce their text versions in the window you type but do not start
>    from the menu (on ppc both ways give you new windows). but
>    graphicsmajick xedit xman all work so i don't know what's up.
>
> 3) the cursor keys don't work in X.

I don't know why that would be... does xorg understand the various
different ADB keyboards? I'm guessing, but I'd suggest have a close look
at the xorg.conf and failing that try xev and xmodmap.

-f