Re: upgraded to lenny/sid and ordered RAM

On 5/16/07, Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> so i decided in order to track unstable i really had to get 64MB. but
> then I have another machine the quadra 605 so i got a 128MB for the 630
> and a 64 for the 605. supposedly these large cards work only in these
> two machines (or similar).

I should have said maybe they are not in yet. should
be delivered late this week.

I have a 2-socket LC630 or Q630 motherboard that I was thinking of
upgrading.. I read somewhere that they would only accept 64 + 16. I guess
that is wrong? What sort of SIMMs are yours? Can you tell me the chip
count or the chip part codes? I've seen some 72 pin, 64 MB, DEC SIMMs on
ebay of late, but I didn't feel confident enough to buy some.

the best web link i could find on this topic was
http://colourclassicfaq.com/mobo/ram.html

according to this your machine (which is actually
seems a 631 motherboard. I have a 630 - it only has
one slot, but i have seen a 631 and it had two).
has the highest possible RAM at upper limit of 192MB.

It looks to me like you have to use single sided cards in
the second slot and double sided in the first, and neither
likes double banked (wide) one. problem I had on
ebay was often it says "may not be the exact picture".
even the memory companies on their own sites do this.

so anyway the parts i got i do not have to look at yet
but on the order reciept it says:

  128MB Apple Performa 630 Series 72-pin SIMM (p/n APL72P128)
	$49.98  	1  	$49.98
64MB PowerMac 6100, Performa, Quadra 72-pin SIMM (p/n
APPLE-64MB-FPM-SIMM) 	$19.98 	1 	$19.98

(I think I spent too much)

> i have tried X and i got some initial screen but it is only about 2/3 of
> the way down and then it is overdrawn or something (whitish color with
> stripes) and hangs the console. I had done several install of both xfree
> and xorg on powerpc so I think I know if it is not apparently working.
> could it be problem with the framebuffer driver. the xorg fbdev uses
> another driver called something like fbhw or hwfvdev something like
> that.

That sucks. Was this the 630? I'd be curious to see your xorg.conf and
xorg.0.log (not that I would know how to fix it, I just wanted to compare
with ljmoore's...)

yeah, i have not tried the 605 much at all. (it still has
just a minimal Sarge install on).

i will go back and try X once more, and whatever happens
i will bring back the conf and log files. i just remembered
where i used fbdev as driver before somewhere, that I can
look at the options.

another thing that kinda sucks is the fbdev driver
does not support 1, 4 bit. (it speeds up the old machines
quite a bit).

I should try the 605 though because i found i am able
to get 1024x768 on that but only in 4bit unless I add
vram.  i don't know maybe that is another regression
if i upgraded i would lose the 16bit support ? it is not
costly though like the other RAM. it would be nice actually
to put the VRAM in to get 8bit at 1024x768. it is nice
even in 4 bit.  anyway I should try that is is simply
a matter of copying the 630 install to a spare external
drive, and hooking it up.