Re: What is the most "stable" version of Linux for 68k

On Wed, 2006-22-11 at 22:06 -0800, Brian Morris wrote:

> i used the 2.2.[twentysomething] kernel. i used the ramdisk for cd install.
> but note i used emile cd-install floppy image to boot. i made this with
> the script on mac os but i imagine you could also make it on your pc
> (that is the actually physical floppy, written from the image) that is under
> linux.

I have tried this kernel as well.   This is the kernel I'm leaning
toward at the moment.

> i got the complaints about "low memory mode" when i had only 20 mb in
> there. when that seemed completley stalled i found a used 32mb stick online
> somewhere for $10 and put that in it stopped the complaint. if you
> boot the rescue floppy you can check with the "free" command,
> my machine said i had 10mb free out of 20 in the emile rd busybox.

This is why I'm asking.  I'm getting "low memory mode" with a 32MB SIMM
in my LCIII...  That's 36MB total when you include the RAM soldered to
the logic board.   This is why I was wondering which disk image you were
using.

> also i prepartioned my disk with one of my other linux boxes. that was
> a powerpc mac. it saved some time and hassle in the installer, set up
> and babysitting. (note these have same twisted byte order as 68k so
> i cannot say if this works with pcs)

Interesting that you should mention this, because I've had some
partitioning problems with a 9GB Seagate drive with the PPC installer.
I've installed Debian PPC too many times to count, and this was the
first time that I had had trouble partitioning a disk.   I must look
into that some more.

> i did my network config later and it was by the seat of my pants, i am
> sorry i can't walk you through it, but again to test it you might try the emile
> floppy netboot...

I don't need to be walked through the installation.   I'm perfectly
capable of figuring out how to do the actual install.   I'm just not
wanting to waste time sifting through kernels and ramdisk images that
are known not to work.