Re: linux-image-2.6-17-mac tries

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 23:11 -0800, Brian Morris wrote:

> > > you are using emile then with 2.6 kernel ?
> > The system has 2.6.17-2-mac  , and was installed directly - w/ floppies
> > -
> > from a modified cdrom debian-testing-m68k-binary1.iso,
> > - style emile bootable mac cdrom :) - au passage je vous salut ! -
> this means i take it, you boot installer via emile but you boot 2.2 kernel
> for installer. then you install the testing cd, including the 2.6.17 kernel.
> you say with floppies, confuses me. with the new cd booting that is still
> sarge only. according to laurent the direct method not working yet.

Now is working. Please forget all above.  I explain here again,
like you say, the "laurent direct method" of installation.
I use a latest debian-testing-m68k-binary1.iso , and
packages from http://emile.sf.net/SNAPSHOT to make a
new bootable cdrom .

I use that cdrom to boot directly into debian-installer .
The mac machine has attached only the scsi hard disk
needed for a new installation. that disk may be a generic -
not a mac's specific one. I made two installations one with
a generic scsi disk , and one with mac's specific scsi disk.
Form now on I'm tolking of the installation on mac's specific scsi disk.

> however you then installed emile so you are normally booting with emile
> off the hard drive, or did you just use for installer ?
Once the installation is finished, we can/may attache the -first -disk
with macos
and boot debian from penguin. First booting in the new debian system
- with 2.6.17-2-mac - we have no us keymap - as fixed in installation -.
Once fixed that, and /cdrom directory !!!, I installed emile. From that
emile, with only debian disk attached , debian boot directly
- not useing penguin .

> > > can you tell if the system is any more stable, or any issues improve ?
> > Watchdog time out is still present, cause of to hwclock access issue,
> > > (be sure to update when the new build comes through)
> > > can you try 2.6.18 from unstable ?
> > >From yesterday the system has 2.6.18-2-mac  -2.6.18_4 -,
> > but the  hwclock access issue is still present
>
>From now the system has -2.6.18_5 , but nothing is changed ...

> > in my experience there are at least three levels of severity to
> this hardware clock issue. in the least case it seems to
> only offset the time zone and only in some contexts not all.
> so for instance time stamp of file is OK. in the worse case
> the whole system thinks it is 1969 and this disrupts timestamps
> for update files as well as can cause crash from overflow in
> trying to calculate time intervals.

so is here, even more it cut down the time stamp of machine to 1956 ...
we can see so, times directories from 1956 , 1970, to current date ...
> > > I never did get 17 to work at all
> > > for me, because of disk driver problems (my quadra630 has ide and
> > > my macII has an older scsi controller.
> > >
> > > how are you connecting when you use ethernet,
> > the system is stable only with ethx desabled !
>
> you mean you have nothing connected to it at all when
> you boot,
yes, sorry I don't have a transceiver AUI<-> rj45

> if you want to test
you mean to test what ?
> it you should have a link of
> some kind. starting with the simplest thing was my way,
> so the direct connection. which seemed at least semi stable
> on my system. conversely if you are not using it and it
> is not connected to anything live then it should be off.
>
> i don't know what stable means like that. is it a 0/1 isssue.
> was reported by someone else here they could run for a little
> while then crash. if it is borderline then some adjustments could
> help, at least there is something to work with. if your system
> really does not boot with eth on at all that is worse, and may
> be a sign you have some other problems somewhere.

I don't feel/think so. The machine is ok, but has no external
connection.
-

> makes me think though, since i have no useable keyboard
with some times and imagination we can have one ...
for example at first login to write "root" I must type
"tab s s w" , nice ?
> and must log in via ethernet.
>  what if i physically pull my
> card.
> > >  do you have a local
> > > hub or switch. have you tried directly connecting two linux boxes with
> > > a cross-over cable (anybody), this forces a simpler half-duplex connection.
> > > (although on my newer machines full duplex is faster with these i have
> > > not seen it, and it may be more stable. at least the one time i tried to
> > > use the hub was the one time i got a crash after about 1 hour uptime)
> > This system is standalone, for the moment, I use only cdrom for his
> > needs.
> >
> > I tried on, a kernel compilation directly from
> > linux-2.6_2.6.18-orig.tar.gz,
> > but it is stoped in about 6 minutes with same errors. By the way, there
> > is a
> > basic kernel's config for (quadra840av) macs ?
>
> you have a config that comes with binary kernel package, in the boot
> directory.
Ah yes, that I'm used for .config in /usr/src/linux-...

> i think that also you need a patch file or/and a kernal build
> package.
I'l see later...
>  i am just learning this myself so ...

regards
eugen

ps. I'm on the list , (no need cc-ed to me) thanks