Re: QEMU

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:49:26PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > Umm, no, this was user mode emulation. I figured that would be easier to
> > > implement (and also more useful for Debian) than full system emulation.
> >
> > Not sure about that: a full emulator like aranym can be used much like
> > the real hardware and can serve as a buildd, at least in principle,
> > without requiring system change.
> >
> > The system-call-emulation is faster but the behaviour is special:
> > for example qemu will emulate exec("/usr/bin/gcc") by exec("/usr/bin/gcc")
> > on the native system and will run the native compiler not the emulated
> > one. I did not find an easy work around about that.
>
> It would be nice if it could run a cross-compiler instead. That would give full
> speed for compilations, and emulated speed for the other stuff.
> I'm afraid that without using cross-compilation, we cannot shave off sufficient
> build time for building e.g. kdebase.

The simplest is to use distcc to access the cross compiler, but so far
building m68k-targeted cross-compilers have been problematic.

I plan to try out distcc between two aranym instances running on the
same dual processors box. This imply running with make -j2 but it should
be acceptable for very large source packages.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large blue swirl here.