Re: Fwd: linux-image-2.6-17-mac tries

> > You can try to disable disconnecting - mac5380=1 or  mac5380=-1,1 might
> > help.
>
> i did try this, i found it was behaving rather unpredictably, once i
> got an error
> 54 not understood,

??? The above should go into the kernel options line of the booter, in
case I didn't make this clear before. "54 not understood" is nothing I
would expect the kernel to issue.

> then repeating again and with the other settings i got only a hang.
> seems to require maybe a cold start to reset the bus ?

The bus is reset on booting Linux anyway.

> anyway i also copied my install to a scsi2 disk, strange things happened.
> (note i did this with disks hooked up to powermacs with parted which is
> my regular back routine i use routinely there and boot from copies even on
> different (same arch) machines)
>
> i made a little mac partition at the front of the disk where i thought i might
> need if i wanted to try booting emile on hard drive. well naming it "68k"
> was apparently not a good idea: i was able to recover the disk after a very
> bad crash, finally, but somehow it got renamed to 78k. I am not kidding,
> all the rest of files i had were ok (after major surgery on driver and
> directory).

'68k' might be a reserved partition name in MacOS or the MacOS ROM. Just a
guess.

> also i would not trust to format anymore with old mac os 7 formatter. i had
> been using 7.6 with this machine (the highest it goes) which is compatible
> with mac drive setup 1.4 from os 8.1. i cannot boot with sarge even using

HD SC Setup and the like are only required to place driver partitions on
the disk. After that's done, you can partition using Linux tools (I
haven't used parted but I'd hope they leave the driver partitions and the
general ordering of entries untouched).

> the old hd sc setup formatted drive as an internal drive, perhaps with external,
> but i am going to reformat i think. my powerbook drive i had been booting
> from before had been formatted with the 1.7 drive setup which is not recognized
> by this old computer in mac os (but was ok to boot linux from). is that
> incomprehensible ? to summarize: my impression one must use drive
> setup 1.4 (should work with os7, can download it if don't have os8)

Drive Setup 1.7 perhaps does not install 68k drivers anymore.

> anyway i should probably replace the 17 with the 18 kernel now/soon.

Any improvements on the ADB front there?