Re: linux-image-2.6-17-mac tries

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 01:22:45PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > It will kill the performance, but it looks like the driver has an
> > option to disable pdma. Try adding this to the kernel command line:
> >
> > mac5380=-1,-1,-1,-1,0
> >
> > Just get ready to wait for anything that touches scsi.
>
> Welcome to my world of m68k Macs. The ESP driver has no PDMA either,
> right?

I'm pretty sure that PDMA never worked on mac_esp, but it also wasn't
as slow without it. The 5380 chip is pretty slow even compared to the
53c94 and 53c96 in the models supported by mac_esp. Real DMA would be
better, but only the IIfx and the AV macs even have the hardware.

> Anyway - did the compiler both this, or did the code change?

The pdma code is mostly asm, so I imagine something elsewhere in the
code broke it. Someone mentioned the page fault handlers being
involved, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if those changed.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com