Re: how to install without d-i

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:18:12PM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> > > that's an interesting idea.
> >
> > Well, no, actually. It'll take way too long, and give you a system
> > without /media or /srv (along some other glitches).
>
> glitches? My main working machine got installed Potato (or was it Hamm?)
> and I am dist-upgrading since then (running unstable now). Do I miss
> things compared to pure Sarge install?

Well, your system is of course fully functional; it's just that it isn't
100% FHS-compliant. I don't remember what I mean with the "along some
other glitches" part myself now, so let's just say it means something
along the lines of "there might be other things, dunno".

In any case, a pure sarge install will not be the same as a pure
upgraded woody.

> > deb http://<your mirror>/debian sarge main
>
> that was clear.
>
> > Also, make sure the files in /etc/crosshurd/sources.list/packages/ do
> > *not* contain grub, because that simply doesn't exist for m68k :-)
>
> OK
>
> > Once that's done, just make a directory somewhere, and run "crosshurd"
> > as root. Point it to the directory you've just created, choose
> > "linux-hurd" as system type, and "m68k" as processor. That's it.
>
> cool. I didn't know it would ask me.

Heh :-)

> I did that and installed something in 3 minutes. Now I'll copy it over
> to a harddisk somehow but what next?  Do I need to run some kind of
> post-install script?

That's the idea, yes.

> Or will certain kernel parameter do that for me?

No.

> Does the /native-install script mean that I should run it?

Yes. Just boot the system in single-user mode and run the
/native-install manually. It might have to be ran twice; if so, it'll
tell you. Once it's completed (the second time, if appropriate), you can
simply remove it.

> > I've tried running Linux on aranym the other day, but when I run
> > 'aranym-mmu -l -N' after fiddling with the configuration file to point
> > to the right kernel and initrd, it dies with "CPU: Double bus fault
> > detected !", and "CPU: Halting". Any hints?
>
> Looks like you let it execute something else than a m68k binary.

No, I'm quite sure I didn't. I tried feeding it both the Woody and the
Sarge installation kernels (and initrds)

> What's your host hardware?

A PowerPC G4 (my laptop). I haven't tried on Intel yet. Maybe an
endianness issue? Just guessing here.

> And did you use aranym 0.9.0 as found in debian, right?

Yes.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond