Re: 2.6.x-amiga kernel + misc.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Christian T. Steigies wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 07:32:32PM +0200, Haakon Innerdal wrote:
> > Hi gentlemen,
> >
> > Is there any special magic to apply if I want to run a 2.6.x-amiga kernel?
> > (2.6.8-4 was the latest I tried)
> >
> > First of all, the default built kernel 2.6.8-amiga, is to big for
> > amiboot-5.6.
> > Any custom built kernel that is accepted in terms of size, only results in
> > a grey screen, not booting.
>
> Try booting with an uncompressed kernel. This might actually explain why I
> had problems with the latest kernels, I forgot to replace the uncompressed
> one with the newly installed kernel...

Ah, thanks for the tip, I decompressed the debian -built kernel, and I
came past the error of kernel to big, but still, it hangs in a grey
screen, just like any custom 2.6.8 I try.
There is no disk activity after booting, so it seems to just hang. Is
there any way to debug what may be wrong at such early stages? I tried a
kernel with just the minimum necessarities, but incl. aga-framebuffer,
still no luck.
Although the 2.4.27 kernel is working great, I would like to investigate
what causes this. In time, I'll dig into the linux/amiga port and make any
contribution I may have to the further development of this great work.
I'm not a kernel -developer, but I have skills in programming.

> IIRC I built 2.6 with gcc-3.3. Try using a cross compiler, instead of 6
> hours it takes only 6 minutes to compile a kernel on my notebook. See
> kegel.com/crosstool

Tnx. will look into that, have successfully built a m68k toolchain now,
I did such a thing manually some years ago, but that was quite a job,
(and I lost the setup in a disc crash) :-( the above adress was a
lifesaver tough!

> > almost last Q: would a Picasso IV card be a good investment? my goals is
> > to get reasonable graphics in both amiga-os, and in m68k/xfree, other good
> > (cheap) options?
>
> I just bought a PIV and a PII+ to replace my broken CV643D, but I haven't
> had the time yet to test either of the cards. The PIV is the best graphics
> card that exists for Amiga, IMHO, and I think the Linux support is pretty
> good. It's been a while that I saw a PIV running and it was printing a lot
> of DEBUG messages, but that probably has been disabled in the kernel, and it
> should work very well. I liked the CV643D a lot, especially after I managed
> to get it to work in my Amiga2000, but I haven't used video on the Amiga
> much for a couple of years, I have a network and use mostly the notebook or
> an athlon as a display.

Thanks for the info! I'm currently being offered both a CV643D and a PIV,
the PIV-guy havent yet answered my interrest in the card, but in light of
the above statement, I'll have some patience! :-)

> Christian

Regards, Haakon