2.6.x-amiga kernel + misc.

Hi gentlemen,

Is there any special magic to apply if I want to run a 2.6.x-amiga kernel?
(2.6.8-4 was the latest I tried)

First of all, the default built kernel 2.6.8-amiga, is to big for
amiboot-5.6.
Any custom built kernel that is accepted in terms of size, only results in
a grey screen, not booting.

My environment:
A4000 with phase5's CyberStorm MK2 68060 accel
standard aga
startup:
amiboot-5.6 -d -k vmlinuz-2.6.8-amiga  root=/dev/hda9 video=amifb:pal

the 2.4.27 kernel works great, both debian supplied, and self compiled.
(debian m68k/patches)

Should I try to ensure that the 2.6-kernel is built with gcc-2.95? is it
even possible to build 2.6.x with gcc-2.95? (I could try, but each kernel
build is taking about half a day...)

Is there something I'm missing about booting 2.6.8/big kernels? does it
exists patches for amiboot that can cope with bigger kernels? or is there
some other way that I've missed?

Next question, I have a hydra NIC, when downloading, I get about
60-80 Kb/sec, I know this is not exactly high-end hardware anymore, but is
this full speed I can expect?

almost last Q: would a Picasso IV card be a good investment? my goals is
to get reasonable graphics in both amiga-os, and in m68k/xfree, other good
(cheap) options?

finally: Upgrading my system with Mediator PCI wouldn't give me any
better options in m68k/linux, right? it's not supported? or is there
something in the works?
I noticed somewhere in the kernel about a graphic driver "depends on FB &&
(ZORRO || PCI)",
but googling on the subject didnt give me any immediate answers...

Kind regards, Håkon