Re: 2.6.x-amiga kernel + misc.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 07:32:32PM +0200, Haakon Innerdal wrote:
> Hi gentlemen,
>
> Is there any special magic to apply if I want to run a 2.6.x-amiga kernel?
> (2.6.8-4 was the latest I tried)
>
> First of all, the default built kernel 2.6.8-amiga, is to big for
> amiboot-5.6.
> Any custom built kernel that is accepted in terms of size, only results in
> a grey screen, not booting.

Try booting with an uncompressed kernel. This might actually explain why I
had problems with the latest kernels, I forgot to replace the uncompressed
one with the newly installed kernel...

> My environment:
> A4000 with phase5's CyberStorm MK2 68060 accel
> standard aga
> startup:
> amiboot-5.6 -d -k vmlinuz-2.6.8-amiga  root=/dev/hda9 video=amifb:pal
>
> the 2.4.27 kernel works great, both debian supplied, and self compiled.
> (debian m68k/patches)
>
> Should I try to ensure that the 2.6-kernel is built with gcc-2.95? is it
> even possible to build 2.6.x with gcc-2.95? (I could try, but each kernel
> build is taking about half a day...)

IIRC I built 2.6 with gcc-3.3. Try using a cross compiler, instead of 6
hours it takes only 6 minutes to compile a kernel on my notebook. See
kegel.com/crosstool

> almost last Q: would a Picasso IV card be a good investment? my goals is
> to get reasonable graphics in both amiga-os, and in m68k/xfree, other good
> (cheap) options?

I just bought a PIV and a PII+ to replace my broken CV643D, but I haven't
had the time yet to test either of the cards. The PIV is the best graphics
card that exists for Amiga, IMHO, and I think the Linux support is pretty
good. It's been a while that I saw a PIV running and it was printing a lot
of DEBUG messages, but that probably has been disabled in the kernel, and it
should work very well. I liked the CV643D a lot, especially after I managed
to get it to work in my Amiga2000, but I haven't used video on the Amiga
much for a couple of years, I have a network and use mostly the notebook or
an athlon as a display.

Christian