Re: 2.6.x-amiga kernel + misc.

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 12:53:25PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > > So I finally put the PIV into my Amiga2000. In AOS it works pretty well, the
> >
> >     [...]
> >
> > Amiga 2000. So this is the Zorro II version of the Picasso IV? Or is it the
> > Zorro III version in a Zorro II slot?
>
> There are different hardware versions? I think this card should work in a Z3

zorro.ids has:

0877  Village Tronic
        1500  Picasso IV Z2 RAM [Graphics Card]
        1600  Picasso IV Z2 RAM [Graphics Card]
        1700  Picasso IV Z2 [Graphics Card]
        1800  Picasso IV Z3 [Graphics Card]

> slot as well, only the video daughter board has been broken out, put into
> the video slot on the mainboard, and connected with two flat cables to the
> video card. This is for the scan doubler I think. How is the Z2 card
> different?

Your Z2 has 3 Zorro IDs:

> 01: Village Tronic Picasso IV Z2 RAM [Graphics Card]
> 	Type: Zorro II
> 	Address: 00200000 (00200000 bytes)
> 	Serial number: 00000000
> 	Slot address: 0020
> 	Slot size: 0020

2 MiB for the graphics memory

> 02: Village Tronic Picasso IV Z2 RAM [Graphics Card]
> 	Type: Zorro II
> 	Address: 00400000 (00200000 bytes)
> 	Serial number: 00000000
> 	Slot address: 0040
> 	Slot size: 0020

Another 2 MiB for the graphics memory. You have a 4 MiB card? (yes, of course,
since it does 1024x768x24). Probably they used 2x2 MiB instead of 1x4 MiB to
reduce pressure on the Z2 address space.

> 03: Village Tronic Picasso IV Z2 [Graphics Card]
> 	Type: Zorro II
> 	Address: 00ec0000 (00020000 bytes)
> 	Serial number: 00000000
> 	Slot address: 00ec
> 	Slot size: 0002

128 kiB for the registers.

Z3 cards have only one ID, since Z3 has plenty of address space. So the
`difficult' part is to find out how the pieces are related.

And it may become tricky if the 2 pieces of 2 MiB are not contiguous in
memory. Hmm, probably that's impossible, since I guess the 3 parts are always
initialized after each other. So if there's enough Z2 space to handle the full
4 MiB, it will be contiguous, else only the first 2 MiB will be there.

> > Apparently clgen/cirrusfb support the Zorro III version of the Picasso IV only
> > :-(
> >
> > Probably there are not that many differences, except for the memory and
> > register mappings. Unfortunately Klaus is no longer around to ask :-(
>
> But Tobias is still around, he sold me the card and Ingo said he wrote the
> AOS driver.

Good! Can you ask him? If I know the specs, I think I can easily add support
for it, even without having the hardware.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds