Re: 2.6.x-amiga kernel + misc.

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 12:53:25PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > So I finally put the PIV into my Amiga2000. In AOS it works pretty well, the
>
>     [...]
>
> Amiga 2000. So this is the Zorro II version of the Picasso IV? Or is it the
> Zorro III version in a Zorro II slot?

There are different hardware versions? I think this card should work in a Z3
slot as well, only the video daughter board has been broken out, put into
the video slot on the mainboard, and connected with two flat cables to the
video card. This is for the scan doubler I think. How is the Z2 card
different?

> > In Linux it does not work that well yet. The scandoubler still works, so I
> > get a colour picture on my monitor and do not have to use special hardware
> > like my FBAS to VGA converter anymore! But I could not get any PIV modes to
> > work yet. I tried 2.4.27 with the clgen driver, the kernel says no supported
> > hardware detected, I tried 2.6.8, with clgen and cirrusfb as a module,
> > nothing found either it seems. Do I need other boot options for cirrusfb?
> > The 2.6.8 kernel-images include only very few video drivers, simply because
> > they do not compile, a few compile as a module though. Is that intentional?
> > Probably the kernel would become even larger when more drivers are built in,
> > but how do I switch to another fbdriver then? I tried fbset in 2.6.8 after
> > With linux-2.2.25, clgen does not find a supported board either. Since I
> > heard that Picasso should work at least with 2.2.25, I assume this is a
> > ZorroII problem again? The board does show up with lszorro, but the kernel
> > does not detect it?
>
> Apparently clgen/cirrusfb support the Zorro III version of the Picasso IV only
> :-(
>
> Probably there are not that many differences, except for the memory and
> register mappings. Unfortunately Klaus is no longer around to ask :-(

But Tobias is still around, he sold me the card and Ingo said he wrote the
AOS driver.

> What does `lszorro -v -v' show? Anyone with the Zorro III version around to
> compare?

00: Phase 5 Blizzard 2060 [Accelerator]
	Type: Zorro II
	Address: 00ea0000 (00020000 bytes)
	Serial number: 00000000
	Slot address: 00ea
	Slot size: 0002

01: Village Tronic Picasso IV Z2 RAM [Graphics Card]
	Type: Zorro II
	Address: 00200000 (00200000 bytes)
	Serial number: 00000000
	Slot address: 0020
	Slot size: 0020

02: Village Tronic Picasso IV Z2 RAM [Graphics Card]
	Type: Zorro II
	Address: 00400000 (00200000 bytes)
	Serial number: 00000000
	Slot address: 0040
	Slot size: 0020

03: Village Tronic Picasso IV Z2 [Graphics Card]
	Type: Zorro II
	Address: 00ec0000 (00020000 bytes)
	Serial number: 00000000
	Slot address: 00ec
	Slot size: 0002

04: Village Tronic Ariadne II [Ethernet Card]
	Type: Zorro II
	Address: 00e90000 (00010000 bytes)
	Serial number: 00000000
	Slot address: 00e9
	Slot size: 0001

05: Individual Computers Catweasel [IDE Interface and Floppy Controller]
	Type: Zorro II
	Address: 00ee0000 (00010000 bytes)
	Serial number: 00000000
	Slot address: 00ee
	Slot size: 0001

06: Great Valley Products Series-II [SCSI Host Adapter]
	Type: Zorro II
	Address: 00ef0000 (00010000 bytes)
	Serial number: eeeeeeee
	Slot address: 00ef