Re: help with NIC needed

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 15:53 +0100, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
> >By the way, aren't you talking about the 3C589 card (which is the PCMCIA
> >version of the Etherlink III)?
> >

> I read on the card: 3c589D Etherlink III, and it is connected thru PCMCIA.
> So it is simply neither supported by kernel nor any module?

Indeed, not on m68k.

> >work are NE2000 clones and UART/modem cards. Others just reset the
> >machine as soon as you plug them in, keeping it in reset state after
> >that, or just don't work at all (don't even get detected properly).
> >

> mine works fine under the native system, but is not detected during
> linux bootstrap (or I still hope I need some module).

Are you saying that there is a driver for it under AmigaOS? Hmmmm! In
that case I can get it to work under Linux as well I suppose.

Hmm, found the driver for it, it includes source. Good :-)

Looks like the author of this driver had problems with it too (quoted
from the Notes file):

 - The cards' 8-bit statistics registers appear to be unreadable using
the A1200's PCMCIA slot.

OK, with some hackery I suppose existing driver could be used then.

I'll give it another go :)

>  what confuses me
> is that this card is listed in the kernel module list, but these modules
> are just not there. Maybe I need a disk with extra drivers. I noticed
> drivers.tgz and drivers.bin, are they the same?

Well, there is normally a driver for it, but not on the m68k platform.
So I don't think you'll find it in those files either.

> >In other words... just get an NE2000 clone ;-)
> >

> Are such clones widely available e.g. for PC's? (read: reasonably priced)

Yes, I picked up several cards for 5 Euro a piece on the second hand
market.

On this URL: http://www.g-mb.de/pcmcia_e.html you can find a list of
supported cards.

Kind regards,