Re: 68k or m68k port status

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 09:54:32AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 08:41:19AM -0400, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 03:40:49AM -0400, John Klos wrote:
> > >
> > > I was more curious about the Debian OS project itself, not necessarily the
> > > packages project.
> >
> > I haven't read my Stallman lately, what is the Debian OS?
>
> I don't see any reason to react that way.  Debian defines itself on its
> webpages as "the Universal Operating System", therefore Debian must also
> be claiming itself to be an OS.  No assertions by RMS are necessary.

So what is this Universal OS, a kernel with packages running on it?

> The fact that the Debian Project is experimenting with modularization of
> its OS kernel and C library doesn't mean we're not working on a unified
> OS.

And at the moment for most of us the kernel is linux, and soon we will have
hurd, bsd, qnx, ... too. But isn't the biggest part of the Debian OS project
the packages (boy, this sounds like a Sven statement...), so most of it is
about packages. Which is somewhat contrary to the original question. Maybe I
just didn't understand the question, can somebody explain it?

Christian