Re: CVS kernel-image for mac

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 02:06:43AM -0500, Ray Knight wrote:

> Can you connect to the network using MacOS?  This would confirm whether
> or not the Asante AAUI adapter is functioning properly.

I didn't get it working, I think the network was setup by the previous
owner(s), it is trying to conenct to some company, proxy or whatever. I
tried changing it to my DHCP, but not very hard.

> Are you using a 10MB or a 10/100 hub/switch?  I have had problems with
> some of the Mac Ethernet devices failing to link with any 10/100 switch,
> but working perfectly with a 10MB hub.

10/100 hub. It should be running at 10, since the Amiga is connected. And
the PC does the receive the DHCP requests properly, and sends an IP offer
back, but never gets an answer to this.

> I take it you don't have a 7.5 CD.  You can't just copy a system folder

I don't even have a CD drive in the Mac... and it did not like my external
CD-R. So even if I had the CD (where do I get one?), it would probably not
help.

> from another system unless it was installed on the other system to
> support any hardware.  The default install of 7.5.x installs only the
> files needed for the hardware on which you are installing.  You need to
> manually pick the option to install support for other hardware.  Hope
> this helps.

I had a minimal install and upgraded that to 7.5.3, on my Amiga with
Shapeshifter. This install works fine on the PC with Basilisk, too. The
install from the Quadra works in the emulator as well, so I am not sure how
picky it is with the hardware. What I'd like to do is install 7.5.x from
scratch, I am not really sure what I have on the quadra, when I copied the
system to the large disk, I saw it copied inboxes, doc files. I deleted all
the m$ stuff already, but there is probably lots of unneeded stuff around,
and who know what drivers are still running...
7.5.x comes in 19 floppy images I think, I'd prefer not doing it with real
floppys, I don't have any floppy disks... I read instructions how to do it
in the emulator, or I could just copy the install I have already. But if I
get ethernet going with what I have, I don't care too much.

Christian