Re: CVS kernel-image for mac

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 23:37, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 05:15:01PM -0500, Hank wrote:
> > >
> > >You've got linux working on a q840av?
> > >
> > yep.
> >
> > >Anything specific I should know about
> > >that?
> > >
> > Not really. Just need the more recent fixes for the ethernet mace adapter.
>
> Ok, that is my problem at the moment, I got everything else working. The
> 128MB went in pretty smoothly, finally I got the system to recognize a 4GB
> disk, got it partitioned (what a mess), debian installer boots, formats
> partitions and installs modules, but when I want to configure the network
> with DHCP or install the basesystem via the network, I do not get a
> connection. My DHCP server sees the requests, offers an IP, but the Mac
> never sees it. If I configure it manually, it does not work either. I tried
> linux 2.2.20 (from the boot-floppies), 2.2.23 (sourceforge), and 2.2.25
> (that I built myself recently). What's the trick? Disable TCP/IP in MacOS?
> How do I do that? I removed lots of software already, but some programs
> still insist on starting during boot, like "Launcher". Where are they
> hiding?
> Or maybe the Asante friendly ethernet AAUI adapter I got on ebay is no
> good...

Can you connect to the network using MacOS?  This would confirm whether
or not the Asante AAUI adapter is functioning properly.

Are you using a 10MB or a 10/100 hub/switch?  I have had problems with
some of the Mac Ethernet devices failing to link with any 10/100 switch,
but working perfectly with a 10MB hub.

> And how could I install system 7.5.5 (or .3) from scratch on that disk?
> Preferable without writing 20 flopies, I guess I'd have to do that from a
> Mac. I tried to copy it from an MO where I have a working 7.5.3 without all
> that crap that came on the used disk, but the Mac didn't want to boot from
> it. Maybe now that it boots I could try that again by connecting the disk to
> the PC and copying over the system folder, but will it still boot after
> that?
>
> Christian

I take it you don't have a 7.5 CD.  You can't just copy a system folder
from another system unless it was installed on the other system to
support any hardware.  The default install of 7.5.x installs only the
files needed for the hardware on which you are installing.  You need to
manually pick the option to install support for other hardware.  Hope
this helps.

Ray