Re: CVS kernel-image for mac

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 11:37:04PM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 05:15:01PM -0500, Hank wrote:
> > >
> > >You've got linux working on a q840av?
> > >
> > yep.
> >
> > >Anything specific I should know about
> > >that?
> > >
> > Not really. Just need the more recent fixes for the ethernet mace adapter.
>
> Ok, that is my problem at the moment, I got everything else working. The
> 128MB went in pretty smoothly, finally I got the system to recognize a 4GB
> disk, got it partitioned (what a mess), debian installer boots, formats
> partitions and installs modules, but when I want to configure the network
> with DHCP or install the basesystem via the network, I do not get a
> connection. My DHCP server sees the requests, offers an IP, but the Mac
> never sees it. If I configure it manually, it does not work either. I tried
> linux 2.2.20 (from the boot-floppies), 2.2.23 (sourceforge), and 2.2.25
> (that I built myself recently). What's the trick? Disable TCP/IP in MacOS?
> How do I do that? I removed lots of software already, but some programs
> still insist on starting during boot, like "Launcher". Where are they
> hiding?

You turn the Launcher off in one of the Control Panels, General maybe.
And you can prevent everything from loading by holding the Shift key
down as it starts up; it will respond 'Extensions Disabled'.

> Or maybe the Asante friendly ethernet AAUI adapter I got on ebay is no
> good...

If it works under MacOS, it's probably OK...

> And how could I install system 7.5.5 (or .3) from scratch on that disk?
> Preferable without writing 20 flopies, I guess I'd have to do that from a
> Mac. I tried to copy it from an MO where I have a working 7.5.3 without all
> that crap that came on the used disk, but the Mac didn't want to boot from
> it. Maybe now that it boots I could try that again by connecting the disk to
> the PC and copying over the system folder, but will it still boot after
> that?
>
> Christian

I guess I misunderstood. You don't have a working MacOS installation?

OK, well you can just copy from one to another at that system level;
assuming you're copying under MacOS (or Windows NT or better) so all
the file's creators and types are preserved. But there's one more
trick: after you've finished copying, you have to open the System
Folder up on the destination.  that will cause the OS to 'notice'
there's a working system there and 'bless' it; you'll see the folder
icon change from plain to one with a tiny Mac on it.

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org

Chris Tillman
- Linux Rox -