Re: chicken or egg problem-newbie install question

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:04:46PM -0500, Lincoln Rutledge wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Have Quadra 610, first Mac.  Onboard Ethernet, fb video, SCSI CDROM,
> 250mb disk, 1gb disk.  OS 7.1.
> How do I get network software installed in Mac OS to download Stuffit?
> Or get Stuffit onto a Mac disk to install?
> Have access to a WinXP machine on internet and LAN.

In MacOS, the Ethernet is activated with the MacTCP or TCP/IP control panel.
In order for that to work, you need an Ethernet card installed and an Ethernet
extension enabled also.

First check for the card, you might need to hook up with a coax cable to
the back of a hub.

If that's a go, check for the other pieces inside the System Folder. Often
disabled extensions and control panels are in folders within the System
Folder named ... (disabled). If they are there, move them into the proper
places and then restart. Then you should be able to configure the Ethernet
using the TCP control panel.

If you don't have an Ethernet card, you could try to go thru Appletalk as
another poster mentioned (that would be the printer port on the back of
the machine). It will take a while to get set up though.

Look for an .sea version of Stuffit. If you can't find one, I can send one
that would fit on a floppy (I think). I believe that might survive the
PC handling and still work on a Mac.

|                  To HAVE, GIVE all TO all (ACIM)               |