Re: chicken or egg problem-newbie install question

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:29:52PM -0500, Lincoln Rutledge wrote:

> I understand (I think) what apps I need.  The problem is that the
> Mac OS currently doesn't know how to talk Ethernet.  The XP box is
> on the internet, but how do I get files from the XP box to the Mac?
> Or get the Mac talking Ethernet and download the files on the Mac?

Assuming you can find some sort of working Mac with a floppy drive and
some means of accessing Apple's Network Access Disk [1], that one
floppy will provide enough for a Mac to get on a local Appletalk
network and install the rest of the OS via Appleshare. The Appleshare
server could be a *nix box with Netatalk, or it could be an actual
MacOS machine. Apple already supplies OS install files [2] for
anything up to 7.5.3, and that can be updated to 7.5.5 for absolutely
zero cost [3]. One could also scour Ebay for compatible OS CDs; I
think anything up to System 8.0 or 8.1 will work on 040 Macs.

[1] http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin

[2] http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/

[3] http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/System_7.5.5_Update/

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu