Re: New to m68k: installation questions!

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 07:31:54PM +0100, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
> > If it's an internal CD, you *may* be able to open up the case, replace
>                               ^^^^^
> why may?

Perhaps you didn't have the longer cable, or the board was never
designed for longer cables. I'm not going to say "go do this" without
being pretty sure that you'd be able to do it.

> > The easiest thing is to find a CD in an external SCSI case, then get
>
> easiest to use something i already have, no? :P

Given that I'd not seen your hardware inventory, I took "easiest" as
"the way it's normally done, the way it's designed to work, that
requires the least amount of surgery".

> > treated like the onboard video. But since it's all framebuffer-based,
> > don't go expecting to play tuxracer or anything.
>
> well it's 24mhz... sure tuxracer won't run... anyway what's the problem
> with framebuffer?

It's slow. On my SE/30 that we've used for demos at Debian booths
before, someone wrote code that went through the dpkg available file
and printed out package information (similar to dpkg --info
somepackage). The printout, running through a loop at full speed with
nothing else running on the system, was slow enough to be readable. No
X, nothing more than a framebuffer console text mode.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu