Re: X-surf driver

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 12:14:15PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 08:50:30PM +0100, Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> > You aren't even supposed to compile it as root, only 'make modules_install'
> > requires it.
> Does it do a specific test for root?  If not, you don't even need to be root
> for that, if you have your groups setup to allow writes to /lib/modules

problem is newer modutils will refuse to load modules with dubious
ownership or mode. I didn't check if they specifically require
root:root but probably something would have to be set[ug]id.

The trick is to set $INSTALL_MOD_PATH to some user writable dir and
have some script that does the copying into root /lib/modules.

Bye
Richard