Re: 68040 buserror patch

Hi all,

On   8 Oct, this message from Richard Zidlicky echoed through cyberspace:

>> > Though your kernel does run, it locks up on my Performa 475 after some
>> > time (of inactivity?).
>
> interesting.. I had once a problem with an Xserver that crashed always when
> I was not watching it. Turned out to be the screen blanking mechanism ;)
> Maybe your kernel tries to spin down something?

No, I don't think so... no IDE drives, and SCSI spindown isn't in there.

>> Hmmm.... that's not good at all. Question: Does your Performa still have a
>> 68LC040 processor, or does it have a full 68040?

Full 68040.

> the buserror patch should not break anything itself, I am running variations
> of it for more than 3 months. The assembly part of it is fairly minimal btw.
>
> Possibly it is something with 2.2.16? I have tried 2.2.17 which exhibits
> the classical 68040 fork problem, so I have not really tested anything newer
> than 2.2.10 in the 2.2 branch.

I have just tested a self compiled 2.2.16 without the buserror patch,
and it does lock up as well after roughly 30 minutes of inactivity.

So it's something with 2.2.16, I'd say...

Andrew, didn't you publish 2.2.16 kernels before the one with the patch?
I'll try one of those. But I can already say that your latest 2.2.14
kernel doesn't have the lockup problem..

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |