Re: 68040 buserror patch

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Michel Lanners wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On   8 Oct, this message from Richard Zidlicky echoed through cyberspace:
[...]
> > the buserror patch should not break anything itself, I am running variations
> > of it for more than 3 months. The assembly part of it is fairly minimal btw.
> >
> > Possibly it is something with 2.2.16? I have tried 2.2.17 which exhibits
> > the classical 68040 fork problem, so I have not really tested anything newer
> > than 2.2.10 in the 2.2 branch.
>
> I have just tested a self compiled 2.2.16 without the buserror patch,
> and it does lock up as well after roughly 30 minutes of inactivity.
>
> So it's something with 2.2.16, I'd say...
>
> Andrew, didn't you publish 2.2.16 kernels before the one with the patch?
> I'll try one of those. But I can already say that your latest 2.2.14
> kernel doesn't have the lockup problem..

Yes, I did put out a few 2.2.16 kernels before the bus error patch.
They're in the usual place: ftp://macduff.dhs.org/pub/cvs. I also put up a
new kernel just now which I compiled without the bus error patch. Give
that a try and see if it works. See, I changed compile machines at the
same time I put out the patched kernel, so something could've broken in
that process as well.

Let me know how the latest one works out.

-Andrew