Re: 68040 buserror patch

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Michel Lanners wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On   6 Oct, this message from Andrew McPherson echoed through cyberspace:
> >> The patch applies with minimal intervention to 2.2.16 from mac68k CVS
> >> and it seems to work (for me at least :). Would somebody with write
> >> access to CVS please commit it?
> >>

> > OK, I applied the patch and it seems to work. ypbind runs now. :) I put up
> > a kernel at ftp://macduff.dhs.org/pub/cvs/vmlinux-2.2.16-100500.gz. I'll
> > commit the patch to CVS shortly.
>
> Though your kernel does run, it locks up on my Performa 475 after some
> time (of inactivity?).

Hmmm.... that's not good at all. Question: Does your Performa still have a
68LC040 processor, or does it have a full 68040? If it has an LC040, than
we may have an interesting decision to make: If a patch fixes a nasty bug
on machines that otherwise work, but severely breaks already broken
machines, what do we do about it? The patch appears to be mostly assembly,
and though I'm not proficient at 68k assembly, I'll look to see if it does
anything that would break an LC040.

Of course, if you have a regular 68040, then we've got a larger problem.
:( It works on my 660AV quite nicely. I'd appreciate further feedback from
68(LC)040 owners on this to decide whether or not we should pull it from
CVS.

Thanks!

-Andrew