Re: Review Article: Comparison Linux / NetBSD for Amiga

Moin Martin,
On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 06:58:33PM -0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> For my review article for german Amiga print magazine "Amiga-Magazin" I am
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
that one still exists??? I thought they would give up, after it became only
a supplement of a PC mag...
Can we have a reprint of your article? AFAIK the Amiga-Magazin is only
available in the Abo, not as single issue, and I cancelled my Abo when they
went PC...

> searching on information to give the user a comparison between Linux and
> NetBSD on Amiga.
I hope you ask on some NetBSD list also? Information from here might not be
very objective, as Debian/NetBSD does not yet exist AFAIK.

> I only know it this far:
>
> - NetBSD seems to have better gfx card support especially under X11
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^
I allways thought, a card supported by NetBSD/Linux allways works on the
console and under X, due to the frambuffer concept?

>   - resolution mode change
>   - 16/24 bit support (probably also there with Linux 2.1+ kernels)
CV3D does also 16 bit, not quite sure on 24/32, Ken started to add support
for that, also for resolution mode change. Recent improvements are not yet
in the kernel tree, since they are not yet working on Zorro2 machines...
But 16bit do work on Z2, its only increadibly slow...

> - Both Debian and RedHat Linux seem to be a bit easier to install and
>   come with pre-configured X11 that is immediately startable. (Especially
>   RedHat.) With NetBSD you have to setup X11 quite manually.
    ^^^^^^ hear hear... Debian/potato has an immediately startable xfree, I
hope you will not judge Debian by a nearly one year old release?

> - The NetBSD on the Amiga Unix Compendium CD comes with compiled KDE
>   packages, Linux m68k does not. Important for the user IMHO!
KDE is important for the user? Well, I do not use KDE, neither gnome, I do
not find it important. Also, on m68k machines I find it a waste of
resources, why slow down a slow machine even more? But then, I never used
it, its maybe just a prejudice :-)

> Any further information available? I see NetBSD has a feature list in some
> readmes, but I didn't find this for Linux m68k right now.
Doesnt www.linux-m68k.org list supported hardware? The Debian/m68k install
guides (on the slink CDs) say a little about supported hardware, features
(packages and versions) should be available on www.debian.org :-)
Most of them are available for m68k, see the file Packages.gz in the m68k
subdirectories of your favorite debian mirror for details.
--
Christian