Re: Debian install instructions

Hi,

>Yes, dselect is a pain (Ive tested the new gtk(?) based installer once, looks
>a little better), but dpkg -i x11/* is stupid... maybe you get X working
>then, but there are so many packages that are not needed when makeing X work..
>I think the profiles you can select during the first install (ie X workstation)
>will install everything need for the given purpose.

I haven't found dselect to be too bad myself. When I originally installed
Debian I selected the X Workstation profile to get a reasonable setup
and then used dselect to remove unwanted packages and to add new ones.

I see that RPM is available on one of the CD's. Has anybody tried
this out yet?

>Yes, it takes a long
>time to install it all, but it does not waste too much space on HDD.

Yep, it took about an hour and a half on my system. I really must get
a faster CD ROM......

Regards,

Ben Hills.